Solar Technologies Research
B.S. Electrical Engineering
University of Central Florida, Orlando, Florida 2007
M.S. Optics & Photonics
University of Central Florida, Orlando, Florida 2011
Ph.D. Optics & Photonics
University of Central Florida, Orlando, Florida 2015
Dr. Kristopher O. Davis received his B.S. in Electrical Engineering from the University of Central Florida (UCF) in 2007. At this time, he became a Research Engineer at FSEC providing photovoltaic (PV) cell and module characterization services to a number of different organizations, including module manufacturers, accredited qualification laboratories, U.S. Dept. of Energy national laboratories, and others. Additionally, he worked with NREL on quantifying degradation rates in PV modules installed in the field and helped lead a U.S. Dept. of Energy funded project focused on the development and demonstration of advanced inverters with unique features attractive to utilities. Dr. Davis received his Ph.D. in Optics & Photonics from UCF in 2015 where he focused on the deposition of functional oxide materials using atmospheric pressure chemical vapor deposition (APCVD) and the integration of these materials into c-Si solar cells. This collaboration between UCF and SCHMID Group, a producer of PV manufacturing equipment, gave Dr. Davis first hand experience on solar cell manufacturing processes in a state-of-the-art R&D pilot production facility.
Currently, Dr. Davis is the c-Si Metrology Program Manager for the U.S. Photovoltaic Manufacturing Consortium (PVMC), a U.S. Dept. of Energy funded initiative in collaboration with SEMATECH. In this capacity, Dr. Davis has been working with a number of companies across the U.S. PV supply chain to better understand the challenges facing c-Si metrology and develop solutions to these problems through collaborative R&D.
Dr. Davis is an active member of IEEE, SPIE, and MRS.
- Schneller EJ, Brooker RP, Shiradkar NS, Rodgers MP, Dhere NG, Davis KO, Seigneur HP, Mohajeri N, Wohlgemuth J, Scardera G, Rudack AC, Schoenfeld WV. Manufacturing metrology for c-Si module reliability and durability Part III: Module manufacturing. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 2016; 59: 992-1016. DOI: 10.1016/j.rser.2015.12.215.
- Davis KO, Rodgers MP, Scardera G, Brooker RP, Seigneur H, Mohajeri N, Dhere NG, Wohlgemuth J, Schneller E, Shiradkar N, Rudack AC, Schoenfeld WV. Manufacturing metrology for c-Si module reliability and durability Part II: Cell manufacturing. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 2016; 59: 225-252. DOI: 10.1016/j.rser.2015.12.217.
- Seigneur H, Mohajeri N, Brooker RP, Davis KO, Schneller EJ, Dhere NG, Rodgers MP, Wohlgemuth J, Shiradkar NS, Scardera G, Rudack AC, Schoenfeld WV. Manufacturing metrology for c-Si photovoltaic module reliability and durability, Part I: Feedstock, crystallization and wafering. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 2016; 59: 84-106. DOI: 10.1016/j.rser.2015.12.343.
- Davis KO, Jiang K, Habermann D, Schoenfeld W. Tailoring the Optical Properties of APCVD Titanium Oxide Films for All-Oxide Multi-Layer Anti-Reflection Coatings. IEEE Journal of Photovoltaics 2015; 5: 1265-1270. DOI: 10.1109/JPHOTOV.2015.2437272.
- Zhang W, Davis KO, Schoenfeld WV, Looney P, Wang F. STEM-EELS Studies of the Local Structure and Coordination of Al2O3/Si interfaces in Si Solar Cells. Microscopy and Microanalysis 2014; 20: 396-397. DOI: 10.1017/S1431927614003705.
- Davis KO, Brooker RP, Seigneur HP, Rodgers M, Rudack AC, Schoenfeld WV. Pareto analysis of critical challenges for emerging manufacturing technologies in silicon photovoltaics. Solar Energy 2014; 107: 681-691. DOI: 10.1016/j.solener.2014.06.017.
- Davis KO, Kurtz SR, Jordan DC, Wohlgemuth JH, Sorloaica-Hickman N. Multi-pronged analysis of degradation rates of photovoltaic modules and arrays deployed in Florida. Progress in Photovoltaics: Research and Applications 2013; 21: 702-712. DOI: 10.1002/pip.2154.
- Davis KO, Jiang K, Demberger C, Zunft H, Haverkamp H, Habermann D, Schoenfeld WV. Investigation of the Internal Back Reflectance of Rear-Side Dielectric Stacks for c-Si Solar Cells. IEEE Journal of Photovoltaics 2013; 3: 641-648. DOI: 10.1109/JPHOTOV.2012.2233861.
- Davis KO, Jiang K, Demberger C, Zunft H, Haverkamp H, Habermann D, Schoenfeld WV. Improved control of the phosphorous surface concentration during in-line diffusion of c-Si solar cells by APCVD. physica status solidi (RRL) - Rapid Research Letters 2013; 7: 319-321. DOI: 10.1002/pssr.201307020
- Davis KO, Jiang K, Wilson M, Demberger C, Zunft H, Haverkamp H, Habermann D, Schoenfeld WV. Influence of precursor gas ratio and firing on silicon surface passivation by APCVD aluminum oxide. physica status solidi (RRL) - Rapid Research Letters, 2013; 7: 942-945. DOI: 10.1002/pssr.201308092