FSEC Policy Advisory Board
September 11, 2008
Attendees: Judy Albertson, Paul Allen, Addison Bain,
Griff Carrison, Sean Christiansen, Pete DeNapoli, Mike Draper, Bill
Edmonds, Mike Faas (on behalf of Amy Long), John Fix, Steve Gorman,
Leo Herrera, Colleen Kettles, Syd Kitson, Roger Messenger, Louis Rotundo,
Joe Lee Smith (on behalf of Jim Drake), M.J. Soileau, Jeremy Susac
(call in, on behalf of Alexander Mack)
Guests: John Lisi & Bill Smoak (Intersil), Steve
Precourt (Florida House)
- Chairman Louis Rotundo called the meeting to order at 10:00 a.m.
and welcomed the Board members and guests. PAB members and
FSEC staff introduced themselves.
- Minutes from the February 26, 2008, meeting were approved as submitted.
- Jim Fenton gave a presentation on electricity forecasts,
and two(2) upcoming reviews: OPPAGA (Office of Program Policy
Analysis and Government Accountability) review on September
29, 2008, and an External Review Team review on October 6-7,
2008, and both FSEC and UCF Main Campus. Dr. Fenton also advised
that the Florida Energy Office has now moved from DEP into
- Philip Fairey gave the presentation that was prepared by
Jeremy Susac (also see call-in, paragraph 8).
- Review of HB 7135
- Executive Orders declaring the state’s commitment
to be a leader in establishing greater energy security
and reducing greenhouse gases.
- Steve Precourt spoke about the new House leadership; Ray
Sansom, Speaker of the House designate; policy being driven
out of the Governor’s
Office; good time to be in this arena; has heard some really
good policy incentives, some pertaining to energy efficiency
Carrison asked about a line item for funding solar rebates. Rep.
Precourt advised that probably would not happen. M.J. Soileau
stated that the state policy sets the market for solar (California
has 2,000+ PV companies).
- Jim Fenton discussed UCF’s Florida Energy Systems Consortium
- Group broke for lunch at Noon and shared the buffet with
the PV Installer Workshop attendees.
- Jeremy Susac called in at 1:00 p.m. and
joined the group in a discussion of HB 7135 and referred
to his presentation, presented earlier by P. Fairey; discussed
the Florida Energy & Climate Commission; Solar
Rebate Program; seeking funding from “green” governments
grant program. Pete DeNapoli asked if the current programs
are tied to the RPS, to which Susac replied that they could
be tied; and when DeNapoli inquired as to funding source,
J. Susac replied “general revenue.” J.
Fenton asked about the process of generating Public Benefits
Funds, and Susac replied that it is a Legislative process. Louis
R. asked when he saw the Governor coming out with the economic
package, and Susac said he cannot say.
- Louis suggested the Board
appoint a small group of industry users who could come up
with some recommendations of a procedure we can use to go
back to the Legislature with between now and next session. Suggested
members are: David Winslow, Amy Long, Syd Kitson, Pete
DeNapoli, Paul Allen and Bill Smoak.
- Louis recommended Tommy Boroughs to serve
as the next Board Chair. Steve Gorman nominated Tommy
and Griff Carrison seconded.
- Louis then recommended that Syd Kitson be
nominated as Vice Chair, and Griff Carrison seconded.
- Decision was made to post the meeting minutes
on a PAB Web site, and links would be provided to all presentations.
- Louis then suggested that the next PAB meeting
be held in February, before the Legislative session begins
and it was so agreed. Louis said he would ask Carolyn
Burby to poll the Board in early January for their availability
for a meeting date some time end of February.
- Meeting adjourned at 2:15 p.m.